Building An Earthship In Darfield, B.C.

We are a family of five living in Darfield, BC.
Our house is six hundred square feet in total and we are feeling cramped.

We have decided to build an earthship!

So starts the adventure ...

Thursday, June 11, 2009

First Tomatoes Spotted

I got a thrill this afternoon while weeding the garden. A tomato plant has two tiny green tomatoes started on it! I was surprised ... the plants have been flowering but I did not expect to see tomatoes yet.

I added the second tire to my potato stacks today. I have started six stacks in total and the claim is fifty pounds of potatoes per stack. We'll be in potatoes all winter!

The dog continues to dig in the garden. Onions seem to be her favourite choice so I have put a string fence around that planter. I may have to resort to more drastic measures, although I am not sure what those measures would be ...

Sandra and I visited a friend's garden this evening. She has done an amazing job with her garden. It is very inviting and cozy ... something to aspire to. We walked away with four plants, and I now have high hopes that we will be feasting on eggplant before the summer is out.

We are planning to go kayak camping tomorrow for four days. Katie is sick (Stephen already had it) but we are hoping she will be feeling well tomorrow. This is our first trip of the season and we are going to Clearwater lake. The kids are excited! Stephen got freeze dried food in his stocking last Christmas and he is looking forward to his apple cobbler.

When we return we should be back to thinking about the house within a couple of days!

No comments: