Building An Earthship In Darfield, B.C.

We are a family of five living in Darfield, BC.
Our house is six hundred square feet in total and we are feeling cramped.

We have decided to build an earthship!

So starts the adventure ...

Monday, January 4, 2010

Apologies and mutterings

Since coming out of the environmental closet last year I've noticed an alarming trend.  Friends and family are starting to edit their conversations with me.  We will be deep in conversations and I will suddenly get a muttered, "oh, I'm sorry, that's not very environmental of me," or "yeah, well, I know I shouldn't do that, but you know."

I'd like to go on record as saying, "Yes, I do know!".  It's really hard to always be thinking of making the right choice for the environment.  I'm constantly confronted with things I do or have been doing that I realize could be done differently.  Some of them I DO NOTHING ABOUT.  Sometimes somebody else has to point them out to me and I'm amazed I didn't see it staring right at me.  I'm not perfect.  I have yet to find ski waxes that are environmentally friendly...actually I haven't tried.  Although I don't have a lot of chemical cleaners in my house, I'm staring at a bottle of windex right now.  I haven't gotten around to mixing that other stuff. (Sorry, sorry, I know I should!)  There, you see?  I do it too.

One of the reasons we started this blog was to show others that our thought process was pretty typical.  We are no different (or were no different) in how we lived than most of the population.  By showing our warts and misguided attempts as we build our sustainable house and live a little cleaner and better, we thought it might encourage others to try something different, too. And to make people realize that you don't have to do it all to make a difference.

And I'm finding that lots of other people are like me..they just don't make it so public!

No comments: