Building An Earthship In Darfield, B.C.

We are a family of five living in Darfield, BC.
Our house is six hundred square feet in total and we are feeling cramped.

We have decided to build an earthship!

So starts the adventure ...

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Helen's Quilt

Here are some photos of Helen's quilt project.  I would like to thank our friend Judy Davis who swiftly offered to sell her sewing machine to me to give to Helen for Christmas when I came to her for advice about buying one.  Judy is my December Frugal Friend!  The story behind the little Jenome Jem is one to be proud of!

Judy found it is the Kamloops Value Village.  It was still in its packaging and was listed for $30.  She snapped it up but because she has lots of sewing machines (including a long arm sewing machine that comprises her business activity, "Rather Be Quilting") she had only used the little Jem a few times.  She turned around and offered it to me at the same price; as if I had been the bargain finder!!!

We put a big bow around it and put it under the tree, which confused Helen to no end!  Since then we've bought her a few extra bobbins and a quilting presser foot.  Helen's been madly stitching squares together and plans on making little drawstring bags from scraps for her birthday give-aways on the 16th (she turns 9 tomorrow!)

Here's a few pictures of her project and one of mine, using up scraps from my fabric bag...



 

 

Here's the quilting bag that Judy hand sewed and GAVE to Helen. It stores the cutting board and fabric and the rulers.  Really handy for our space as Helen can slide it under her bunkbed.



My project below.  My challenge was that I did not have pieces more than 2-1/2" wide (this is why they are quilters' scraps).  I've moved onto other colours and patterns since this was taken.


No comments: